Top 5 Tips for Getting Awesome Photos of Your Kids!
If you’re preparing for photos with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Some children love being photographed, others would prefer a trip to the dentist! If your kiddos are the latter, the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don't make a huge deal out of it. If you're stressed out and worried, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter's hair stay straight instead of curling it into because she won't sit still. Focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Simon Says usually works like a charm.
3. Be prepared. If you're going to be out of the house for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with your photographer and your photos will look fantastic.
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable and you will likely capture some adorable candid expressions.